Saturday, July 28, 2012

Oodles of Flowers

Photobucket The Bright Owl
It's time for the Zendala Dare #16! Here was this week's template: Photobucket
Each week, Erin gives us a blank mandala template for us to work the magic of zentangle on. We tangle any patterns we want to use, then we share them on her page The Bright Owl for all to see.
Photobucket
I actually drew two tiles this week. I need to practice my line work, so this was my first effort. My straight lines are alright, but I really have problems with round lines. I'll keep working on it.
Photobucket
This one I am little bit happier with. This shot will give you a little perspective of the size paper I'm working with.
Photobucket
I began by watercoloring a couple tiles. I usually do at least two in case I mess one up somehow. Doesn't usually happen, but sometimes it does. Once I decided I wanted to draw flowers, I chose the pinkish tile over the blue. Pink reminded me more of flowers, the blue more of water. I traced the template onto my tile lightly with a pencil, then started adding in lines with my micron.
Photobucket
I just kept filling in spaces. I didn't start out planning on doing flowers only, but it just seemed right as I went along. Then I started filling in spaces with the black micron.
 Photobucket 
And - - - my finished tile. I stood there and stared at those four open pink spaces. I thought about filling them in with leaves, and then thought, no. Less is better. It doesn't hurt to leave some open spaces. To check out everyone's zendala work, head on over to The Bright Owl hereThere's plenty of time for you to work on one yourself and join us!

29 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, actually both of them. But I like the flower one the best. It was really nice to see the process you used to create the watercolor backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both lovely. Especially like the one with the flowers; but it was really nice to see and hear about the process you use to watercolor the backgrounds. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome - i always appreciate it when someone gives me a step-by-step. thanks for leaving me such a nice comment :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely, all this sunflowers!
    Have you ever tried this: put some water on your paper (tile) and then drop some watercolor (maybe mixed with water) on it? The effect is dufferent than what you did, but also nice.

    Annemarie Huijts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, but i will :) thanks for telling me! and thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. ohhh my God .... I love sunflower ...and the background....
    love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant to see how you work - & I know all about those naughty wobble pixies - they seem to sit on your shoulder & just when you think you're winning they give your elbow a nudge & then the Perfectionist Imp starts chattering in your ear. Love the idea of working on a round shape too ....... I find it hard to choose which is my favourite of these I think it has to be the round one.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, paula, i do know that elbow-nudging-thing. it's a nuisance - ha! thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. These are fabulous!! I have got to try this. I just love how you did the flowers...and I'm so with you...can't go wrong with some open pink spaces!
    Thank you so much for such a detailed post on your method. Such talent!
    Have a great day.
    Sue Brailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, sue! i'm glad you enjoyed my tile! i hope you come back and visit again sometime :)

      Delete
  7. I love the sunflowers! Really beautiful job, Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your process. The color adds so much. Love those sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, judi! this was fun! i love your card you made, too!

      Delete
  9. I love your sunflowers and the colors, is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both tiles are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your process. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's fun, ronnie, and i'm just learning as i go along :) thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  11. Love both tiles--especially with the watercolor wash, really pretty! The sunflowers are beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the flowers and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes, i'm thinking our styles are similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey buddy.... I was googling zenspiration inspired art flowers and your pic was on the first page..... huh...just thought I'd share...

    blessings,
    Cynthia♥

    ReplyDelete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).