Friday, March 2, 2018

Gelli Fun! #zebrapen #zebrapenUS #rangerink

gelli plate pulls in lemon and purple. didn't make mud :) #zebrapen #zebrapenus
 I love working with gelli plates!
You never know how it is going to turn out,
but it is almost always wonderful!
Awhile back, I was at an art class and we 
were using gelli plates -
I was working with an art journal
and some stencils. 
On the right hand side, I did the above page
using an overlap technique with lemon and grape.
gelli plate pulls in lemon and purple. didn't make mud :) #zebrapen #zebrapenus
 I have a habit of keeping some blank pages handy 
to rub my brayer on after I roll out a color.
This way I don't waste paint, and I have
some really cool pages to play with later.
The left hand page worked as my scrap 
and I brayered some leftover lemon.
Then I used a stencil to drop in some grape.
The instructor in the class I was attending
said you shouldn't ever mix yellow and purple
because you would get "mud."
I took that as a personal challenge. 
Hahahaha!
Above is the second 'pull' I did. 
gelli plate pulls in lemon and purple. didn't make mud :) #zebrapen #zebrapenus
 The challenge is "the why" for this next set of pages.
I did the gelli pulls and got the first two 
pages you see.
That night in my hotel room,
from Zebra Pen to do some tangling on the first.
gelli plate pulls in lemon and purple. didn't make mud :) #zebrapen #zebrapenus
 These other four pages are much smaller.
They were bits of watercolor paper I took to the
class - specifically to roll leftover color onto.
gelli plate pulls in lemon and purple. didn't make mud :) #zebrapen #zebrapenus
I closed the book and smooshed the pages 
together and got a really cool mix of the 
stenciled ghost circles and the brayered 
leftover paint.  
gelli plate pulls in lemon and purple. didn't make mud :) #zebrapen #zebrapenus
Then, I took these four scraps and placed 
them into book - back and back and 
side by side, closed the book again and 
smooshed like crazy.
I was amazed at how much detail I was
still able to get. And really -
not mud at all!
So there is a way to use the 
colors you like and
not get mud. 
If you just think about it first
and go in with a plan. 

For color I used 
from Ranger.
So much fun!

7 comments:

  1. I love the color combination. You didn't over mix and that makes all the difference.
    Very nkce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice color combination . Not over mixing makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it does. actually the way I did this there was no mixing at all. I did the layers separately and just pulled. worked out fine

      Delete
  3. I'm chuckling - not sure I could 'plan' that, experimenting can be intriguing but also frustrating. I can see you were in your element & I have to say that's a very attractive colour brown in places (maybe that's the mud??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be my guess. hahaha! I like the rich, warm tones I got. not mud at all. hahaha!

      Delete
  4. Did you have a lot of paint on your prints that enabled you to smoosh the pages together and print from the prints, or have I misunderstood something? My prints never seem to be wet enough to transfer paint onto another page.
    The colours are beautiful - amazing combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use more paint than usual. Fun project. I’d love to see what you do with it.

      Delete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).