Sunday, May 21, 2017

Playing With Resist and Watercolors

Zentangle All Around recently had a prompt to
think outside the box.
Try something you've not done before.
A product, a technique, anything that
breaks the block we artists all feel at one time
or another.
Christine called the prompt:
Break the Block!
 Months ago I bought a Prima product called
Watercolor Resist Pen.
A bottle of liquid that allows you to mask off an area
so you can have contrast when you watercolor.
It has a needle tip on it and you just squeeze.
I used a piece of mixed media paper and
made scrolls and loops using the resist pen.
Then I put it somewhere safe from Aurora
to dry overnight. 
 The next day, I used a small watercolor set
also from Prima and watercolored my paper.
I slopped on a lot of water to start with -
then added the color. 
It was cool to watch how the color moved to the 
borders of the resist and sat there.
I was curious about the amount of water I added.
I really thought it would seep under the edges
of the resist lines.
 Here is what it looked like dry.
I did not use a heat gun to dry this.
I wasn't sure how the resist would react 
with the heat, so I just stuck it back in 
the safe spot and waited.

I really love how the colors mixed with each
other. Notice - when the color bumped up
to the resist lines, as it dried the resist pushed 
the color back in on itself. And made those
cool little wiggly edges all around.
I love it!
 Yesterday, I started peeling off the resist.
It pulled up in a little rubbery strip,
kind of like rubber cement did when
we were kids. 
Notice that the color did not seep under
the resist like I thought it might.
It left a good crisp, clear line.
And the white line left behind looks exactly like
the resist line did. 
All the little blobs and blunders I made -
not thinking ahead of time where I wanted
to go -
all still show up.
But that's ok. I like it!
Next, I will take this sheet and start
tangling it up!

Resist and frisket are the same things.
And I truly believe rubber cement
would do the same thing. Just remember
with it - the fumes are killer for headaches.
We don't even have any in our house just
for that very reason.

Just have fun and play some today.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good! It's a lot of fun. I had no idea how it would turn out.

      Delete
  2. I can see you had some fun with this - we have masking fluid for watercolours here in the UK. I think a Gelly Roll Sakura Glaze (Clear) would also work to give the resist, & so would a wax crayon in white though both those two would resist a Pigma Micron or whatever pen you'd tangle with too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do an art on a shoestring resist with a crayon and kid's watercolors. Thanks for the idea

      Delete
  3. I was admiring the beautiful art you have for sale on Etsy and found your blog. I really like the way you are able to make the bright colors work together without being muddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For looking at my store and my blog! I seem drawn to pink, purple, and teals. Just keep a paper towel handy and if things start to mud up, blot up that color and keep on working 😊

      Delete
  4. i did it, but the color didn't pull away from the resist. I am going to try water color paper (i used mixed media) today. the way it pulls away from the lines adds a nice design element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what product did you use? I was thinking might be the white crayon post - but see that it isn't. with the white crayon I had to go back over my lines and make them heavier. for the frisket and resist pen - make sure it is dry before you watercolor and make sure that dries before you pull off the resist.

      Delete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).