Thursday, August 28, 2014

Simple Watercolor Flowers

Let me just say this, if I can do it so can you!
A couple weeks ago I was getting ready to go on a road trip.
I knew I couldn't take a lot of art supplies,
so I decided to prep a watercolor page before I left.
What you see above is all the prep I did.
I took a decent size paint brush and spread some
generic flower shapes onto a piece of
watercolor paper using my Grumbacher watercolor pans.
 Not a lot of attention to detail.
Just got some color slapped onto the page with
the focus being a couple flowers and what could pass
for a sunny area.
Next I started adding some lines.
I drew around the petals and stamin of the main flower,
and detailed the stem.
I outlined the petals of the flower bud,
and started turning those orange arms into something -
maybe some aloe, or cactus arms.
I finished the cactus-aloe-octopus arms,
and detailed the green leaves.
The flower bud didn't really have any way to
anchor it to the rest of the picture,
so I added a stem leading up to it.
Did a little more details on that stem and those leaves.
Then I started filling in a sun. 
Basic flower design for the sun - 
a center and some petals.
That makes an awesome and easy sun.
I completed the sun with some loose 'nzeppel tangles, 
and some rays in those petals.

And I was done. 
Seriously, the drying of the watercolor paint
almost took longer than the drawing.

All in all I have probably 15 minutes 
worth of work in this drawing.
Simple and direct.
Sweet and easy.
The clock is running.
Go!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous!! You continue to amaze!! Will try this....but your "slapping color on a page" looks a ton better than mine will!!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha! you may surprise yourself :) have fun! and thanks for the comment - it made my day!

      Delete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).