Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fractal Trees Completed

I started work on this project a little over a week ago while I was at Kali's.
This was the first picture I posted. Those trees are a design by Marie Browning, they are called fractal trees. She talks about them in her book Time to Tangle With Colors.
A couple days ago I posted this picture. I took my layout and filled in the layers with various tangles. 
Next I started laying in some color with my Tombow markers. They are a fairly new product for me. Mark gave me a complete set for Christmas,  but I am just now getting around to learning how to use them.
A little more color. Leaning towards a sunset of colors behind those fractal trees.
There you go, there's a closer view.
This will give you a little better idea of what I was working with. This is on Canson, 98 lb, mixed media paper. And, yes, I used every single one of those tombow markers you see laying on the desktop.
Getting close to being finished. Just a little more detail work.
Can you see what I added? Marie calls it haloing. I added a halo around the trees, and around several of the sections down below. At this point I believe this to be complete. Easy enough to do, why don't you give it a try and send me a picture? I'll post it here on my blog :). And if you get a chance, try out Marie Browning's book Time to Tangle With Colors. I carry it in my Etsy store, or you can pick it up online. 

I am linking this post to Jenn's Artist's Play Room over at Just Add Water, Silly. The challenge this week was to do whatever type of art project we wanted to. What perfect timing :). Here you go, Jenn, fractal trees.
The Creator's Leaf

14 comments:

  1. This is totally gorgeous! Amazing colours and subject matter - nice title too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, katie, i appreciate you stopping by :) this was a really fun project, i learned some new things about shadowing through the halo technique

      Delete
  2. Now that sunset is quite spectacular, no doubt as to His inspiration in that one. Your haloing looks brilliant with real 'glow' from the sunset & I love your colouring of the landscape - so earthy & vibrant with the grey of the cobbled path.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true, paula, His inspiration shines all around me :)
      the haloing was new to me, i think i'll b e using it a lot when i work incolor - it really made a huge difference in the completed look

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. thank you, fifi :) i miss talking with you!

      Delete
  4. you take all the time you need :) i worked on this one over almost 2 weeks time - a little here, a little there, there's no need to rush out 'art' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fun picture! I appreciate you showing the various steps. Did Rachel tell you she got extra credit for the tangles she brought to her art class? Her final grade was 99.5. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fun picture! Thank you for showing the various steps.
    Did Rachel tell you she got extra credit for the tangles she brought to her art class? Her final grade was 99.5. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from the APR - what a very beautiful picture. It's amazing the difference colour makes to tangled art. Those trees are wonderful and the sunset - WoW! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting to see you work through this from start to finish - the result looks so complex, but you show how it is done with a step at a time. I enjoyed the art and the post, and the colours you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Jez says very interesting watching your creative process, love your organic lines and the flow your design has.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those trees are fantastic...well the whole design is ;)
    I tangled a tree earlier this week and have been toying with the idea of adding colour. Now I've seen your work I'm going to give it a go. Trouble is I haven't got your amazing markers...I've only got a watercolour travel painting set! Oh well...you have to work with what you've got I suppose.
    Thanks for taking us through the whole process stage by stage :D
    Have a great weekend whatever you''re up to...have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! I so enJOYed exploring this and learning. such BEautimous work. I don't always understand how these Zentangle-ish wonders are created and your generous sharing helped me SEE much more clearly!!

    ReplyDelete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).