Monday, August 6, 2012

In Honor Of . . . My Dad, Zendala Dare #17

The Bright Owl
The Zendala Dare's challenge this week is to honor someone who has been touched by cancer - either still fighting, or someone who lost the battle. She gave us this template:
and asked us to keep that someone special in mind as we tangled this mandala. 

I thought about that one for a few minutes. In my circle of family and friends, my mom, dad, mother-in-law, nephew, an aunt, several uncles, a sweet photographer friend, several friends at church, even myself have all heard that doctor's diagnosis of cancer. I think the one that impacts me the most is my dad. He battled cancer for years, running tests every 3 months for 4-5 years. Dad died a little over six years ago - not from cancer, but from a heart issue. Of all the illnesses my parents went through, from Dad I received his cancer genes, and from my Mom - her diabetes. 

This tile was fun to work on. In his healthy days, Dad loved being out on the water. Riding around in his boat, putting across the lake, throwing a line out for a fish, setting up a trout line, fishing for cod off the docks of Newfoundland, or casting a net for shrimp - it didn't matter as long as there was water. This tile just reminds me of water and boats and maybe some fishnets in the background. 

Thanks for a fun challenge, Erin! Head on over to The Bright Owl and check out the Zendala Dare. It is not too late for you to post a zendala of your own - in honor of someone you love!
The Creator's Leaf

16 comments:

  1. I love the vibrant colors. I especially like how paradox looks with color. Great post also. This has been a thought provoking week, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's been kind of tough reading all the posts this time. thanks for coming over, cathy, i appreciate you!

      Delete
  2. You've done a brilliant piece of work Alice and what a wonderfule tribute to your Dad. I love the fishing net being incorporated into the design from your fisherman tale ;D
    I lost my Dad when I was only 16 years old to cancer. He suffered terribly for two years. That was many years ago now but it can still be so painful to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know what you mean, neesie. but we remember the good times, and the fun moments. thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. How cancer and other illnesses have impacted your life and your loved ones and yet your tile just sings out good things, and it feels like happiness, I think you have found a way to remember the good in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like 'ledenzer' I immideately thought that there is so much joy and happiness in your tile.
    Very nicely done.

    Annemarie Huijts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i appreciate it, annemarie, it took awhile to get to this point. only good memories now :)

      Delete
  5. Love your background and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much! and thank you for "following" my blog - the new changes are done - i think :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not believe that you have heard this diagnosis!!! is scary...;( I hope you are ok
    This tile is vivid and i love it!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am ok, fifi, thank you! everything is good right now, we run tests on a regular basis so we will catch it early if things get bad. and yes, it is scary when you first hear it.

      and thanks for your comment on my tile

      and - i am mailing you a small package - i'll let you know when they think it might arrive when i get to the post office :)

      Delete
    2. ;) BIG THANK YOU!
      GOD BLESS YOU!

      Delete
  8. This is so pretty--the colors pop and are just gorgeous. I'm noticing how many of us did our challenges for our dads...so many great dads out there, too soon lost. Beautiful work as always, Alice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, dawn. i cried my way through this one.

      Delete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).