Monday, April 30, 2012

Making Backgrounds

Photobucket
I ran across a video on pinterest showing the use of Derwent Intense Pencils and Blocks to create background pages for your art journal. I  really like the bright, "intense" colors you could get with these pencils and blocks - so I ordered some and they arrived a couple days ago.
Photobucket
They are super easy to use. For the first set of pages I used a total of 4 colors - a magenta, a teal, a neon green, and a purple. I used the pencils first and colored some different colored splotches on the 2-page spread. Then I took a wet brush and just pulled the colors around, mixing them in places, leaving them alone in others. I held the book up and let some of the colors run across the page, then I used a heat gun to dry the colors. In a couple damp places, I used a scrunched up paper towel to blot - which made a grid-like design. You can see it best in the first photo, right hand page, in the purple section. 


On the second set of pages, I used 3 colors - aqua, orange, and yellow. I used a wet brush to push and pull color back and forth. Then on all the pages, I spritzed a little of Tsukineko's Sheer Shimmer Spritz in copper and frost. You can't really see that on these pictures - it gives the pages a light sparkly look.


I still need to try the Derwent Intense Blocks. My daughter played with those some this afternoon. Here's a link to the video. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice, I love your pages. I have the Inktense pencils too but haven't worked with them very much, so I appreciate that you shared this video on your blog. I have to give them a try now, and I definitely "need" the blocks now too. lol. Linda E.

    ReplyDelete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).