Thursday, May 11, 2017

Letter Art

In my Facebook group -
Zentangle All Around - 
we are working on letter art this week. 
I set up a Pinterest board showing different
types of lettering - some fun, some serious, 
some decorative. Just examples - you can
see them here
I chose this page of letters to work with.
 I knew that I wanted to work in an arc,
so I set up two lines in pencil
and roughly divided the space into the
number of letters I was going to use.
 Next, I sketched out the letters in pencil -
knowing that I would eventually erase the lines.
 Once I was happy with the placement,
I outlined the letters with a sharpie fine liner.
I elongated the top legs of the letter K
and put a spear through the crossbar of the F.
 Happy with that, I erased my pencil lines
and began tangling some of the letters.
 For me, this was the difficult part.
Deciding what patterns to use in the letters.
Where I made mistakes, I just thickened the
lines. Yes, it is supposed to look like that.
Thank you :).
 I wanted the letters to look like they were floating
over the background, so I drew some
ribbon lines and began adding some airways -
that's the flower looking designs along
the outside.
I used Schmincke watercolors to add some color.

(And I just noticed that I forgot about the arc
and made those ribbon lines straight.
Oh well. The best laid plans of mice and men.
Or some such nonsense.)
Once I had all the color added that I wanted,
I added shading around each letter -
to give the letters that 'floaty' look! 
Super easy and it didn't take very long.
My final step will be to frame it and
mail it to a special little Frankie that I know.

What kind of letter art might you work on today?
Feel free to check out that Pinterest board
linked in pink
and see what ideas you might come up with.

2 comments:

  1. This made me smile so much & I love your fronds from Airways - Fescuesque or Mookaesque in character. Actually the straight ribbon lines give a very interesting to the curvature of the letters, it definitely works. I really like the way you've edged the ribbon with blue one side & pink the other. Great fun & I know she'll love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I hope she does! haha! kids can be strange about that sometimes. she can't play with it. hahaha!

      Delete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).