Sunday, April 5, 2015

New Tangle - All Boxed Up - A Complete Post

Last week I started playing with a new idea for a tangle. I named it All Boxed Up. Primarily because the framework is a bunch of boxes. Super simple to draw.
Straight lines, horizontal lines, and auras.
 In this post I want to show you four different versions for all boxed up.
In the above photo - four tangles up from the bottom you see all boxed up in its basic form.
This is exactly what you see in the step-out above.
Here you see that same basic all boxed up
two rows down from the top.
Just like in the step-out.
This is the second version for all boxed up.

Divide that middle section in half horizontally -
the top half is exactly what you see in the step-out.
The bottom half is that same step-out but flipped. 
I turned the tile upside down and drew the exact same all boxed up steps, but because the tile was inverted, the design is also inverted.
I had no idea how it would turn out.
I like this version, too!
Then I drew version three.
Looks awesome, right?
It's actually 7 rows of what you see in the step-out,
stacked on top of each other 
in exactly the same format.
No turning the tile.
Just a complete drawing of the row - 
7 times.

The shading is really what makes this piece pop. 
And it's unbelievable how different it looks once you add the shading. 
See what I mean?
I like it both ways but it looks like two totally different pieces.
And I just repeated the row - until I had seven of them.
Well.
You've seen all boxed up in:
 a single row,
with rows opposing each other,
and in repeating rows where they are exactly the same.

For version four let's talk about size.
For all the other tiles, I drew the boxes approximately the same size.
And straight across.
For this piece I wondered how all boxed up would look 
in a curvy framework,
and with different size boxes.

(The background was colored with the new Dylusions Paints. 
A post about those will be upcoming really soon.)

I drew my framework string with some of my boxes small, 
and some considerably larger.
Then I filled in the boxes.
You can see that it did not cause any problem
with the boxes being different sizes
or being curvy instead of straight.
For this particular piece, I just drew one row of 
all boxed up. 
It fits in very well with other tangles. 
So there you are.
Four different versions for all boxed up.
And all really easy to do.
I imagine there are many other versions that we could
draw for all boxed up.

Please feel free to use my tangle in your art work.
Pin it, post it, share it.
I'd love to see what you do with it!

28 comments:

  1. Lovely Alice! Can't wait to have a play :) helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Alice. Great pattern, anxious to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always interesting to see your posts which are lovely & thorough - I like both versions of step outs & am glad you didn't delete the previous one. It is amazing how different tangles look once shaded isn't it? Thanks for all the work you put into sharing your discoveries with blogland.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome, paula, i'm glad you're here, too )

      Delete
  4. Wow I LOOOOOVE your blog!!!!!!!!!!!! And your work!! You're my kind of quirky :) I also feel newly inspired - was starting to dry up for lack of inspiration but the combo of your blog and the FB group is looking like a nice bit of dynamite to kickstart my creative juices after the dry season! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! you've made my day! so glad i can be an inspiration - that's really why i art in the first place. inspiring for me and hopefully for someone else :)

      Delete
  5. Alice, this post is awesome!!!! I still tend to have trouble thinking outside the box and when I looked at your 2 samples - one with shading, the other without, my first reaction was "these aren't the same!" lol! This is a fabulous tangle and the step-outs are great! Definitely going to give this one a try! Thanks for all you share to inspire!!!! Have a wonderfully art-filled day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, charlene, i'm glad you want to give All Boxed Up a try! the shading is really the key to this one :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome pattern, have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice, I love this and all the variations! I can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love simple, easy-to-remember, but flexible, tangles like this. There are so many different looks you can give it without a lot of complicated steps. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is terrific! I do hope I have time to try it for the Diva's challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing work, such a simple idea made exquisite with shading

    ReplyDelete
  11. Over here "re"checking this tangle out for the Diva challenge. I love this tangle and the shading just makes it pop. I can't wait to play with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It´s a fabulous tangle with so many possibilities! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks for that wonderful pattern! I love the variations of it and the effect of the shading :-)
    It was a great fun to play with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun! A tad like Puff, but rectangular. And shading instead of lines connecting the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great fun. Amazing how fast a pattern can become an optical illusion. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The red lines are a little hard to see at the start - did you use a ruler to do the lines for the grid, or did you do each box separately as you went along the line, please? I love this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi christine, thanks for stopping by :) for the step out itself i used a ruler because the step out was going to be published in a book - i wanted it look really good. typically i draw All Boxed Up totally free-hand. and i like to make the lines all wonky like, wavy and curvy. you never know what it is going to look like till you're done. and shading changes it again.

      Delete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).