Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Inner Critic

The inner critic.
We all have one.
You know - that little voice that tells you:
* you'll never lose that weight,
* you'll never get that job,
* no one will want you,
* you aren't good enough.
You know - that voice.

The art journal prompt I was working on today has to do with the inner critic.
In regards to my art,
my inner critic tells me that I can't draw,
that I can't paint,
that I'm not creative enough,
that I'll never sell any artwork,
that no one will want my art, anyway,
that I have no talent -
thus, no one would ever want my no-talent-can't-draw-to-save-my-life-non-creative artwork.
And truthfully, I hear that inner critic 95% of the time.
That other 5% of the time,
I try to remember that my art is beautiful -
even if I am the only person who thinks so.
Truth.
So, take that, Inner Critic!
Who do you think you are, anyway?
You certainly are not welcome here anymore.
Hahahaha!

Now, onward and upward.

For those that wonder, and even those who don't,
I am using a Strathmore Mixed Media journal.
For this prompt I used a couple gelli prints I had on hand,
stamps, copic markers, posca paint pens, microns,
Pitt artist pens, Sharpie fine point, and washi tape.

9 comments:

  1. And yes.........you're fascinated by pens - the little perfectionist imp sits on my shoulder oh so often & I think she's aka inner critic. I'm definitely one of those that wonders what you're using so thank you........... take care, you made me smile!!
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didn't realize i had used so many pens till i started typing out that part of the post. hahhaa! thank you for being such a faithful reader - and commenter - paula, you make my day!

      Delete
  2. Hi Alice. I love these pages, and I always love your work. So kick that innner critic in the butt, and tell it to go........I think the little characters you used to represent the innter critic are adorable. The female face is beautiful. Did you draw her or is she done with a stamp or stencil?......Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the face is a stamp - from Stampendous - that i colored with copics. the face and the flower were in the same package.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Alice! I'd definitely say that you've shown your inner critic that it's "full of beans"! These are wonderful pages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! I think my inner critic is talking to yours because mine says the same thing. I'll never be as good as you are but I can make things I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. see, dana, that's funny because i don't think my art is all that great. i guess we all have the little inner critics wreaking havoc on our confidence.

      Delete
  5. I am always amazed at the beauty and talent of your art work. Your inner critic should take a permanent hike.

    ReplyDelete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).