Saturday, November 30, 2013

Adding Stamped Images to Your Inked Backgrounds

Today I want to build on earlier posts where I explained how to make these colorful backgrounds. 
Someone asked me what I do with these backgrounds, 
so I decided I would walk you towards that end product one step at a time. 
Today we are going to talk about adding stamped images to your inked backgrounds.
There is really nothing to it. I promise!
I thought I had taken a photo of this inked background when I made it, 
unfortunately I didn't check before I went crazy with the stamping, so this is about the closest thing you are going to see to a photo of the inked prettiness it was. 

I completed the background on an 11" x 14" sheet of Strathmore Bristol Smooth Surface - my go-to paper for inked backgrounds - and Dylusions Ink Sprays in Crushed Grape and Funky Fuchsia . 

Then I gathered my supplies:
* a stamp that I like from Dylusions,
* if you are using a non-mounted stamp, you will also need a clear stamp block - mine came from Dylusions (of course), and
* an archival inkpad from Ranger.
(Yes, I am just noticing my skin looks terrible in this photo. I really don't have the plague, I promise!)
Ink your stamp and place it face down onto your inked background - wherever you want it to go. Press down, then lift straight up.
For this particular project I wanted to cover most of the paper surface with stamped images. I did not care if they lined up or not, so I focused on stacking them one above the other.
I repeated the process until I had most of the surface covered. 
My first stamps were a little darker than I wanted them, 
so I stamped the image twice before I re-inked the stamp.
This resulted in a mix of lighter and darker images, which I am really satisfied with.
So you see, there is really nothing to getting stamped images onto your inked backgrounds. 
Piece of cake! I promise!
Now. On to my next step in the project. And I will try to take more pictures as I go along. 
I promise :).

3 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued to see where you go from here - great having your photo tutorials for the combination of words & pictures really explains.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty... I just bought a smaller pack of this bristol paper... have you ever stamped and then coloured on it with alcohol markers? jeandonny2000 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm trying to respond individually to your comments, but blogger won't let me :(

    thanks, paula, i have no idea what i'm going to do next - but i hope it will be beautiful whatever it is :)

    mary-anne, yes, i have done that, once i stamp the image i use my heat gun to set the ink so it doesn't smear with the alcohol markers, try it on a scrap first :) thanks for the question - it works and it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).