Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Language of Tears

Earlier this week we celebrated Veterans Day, thanking all those who have served in the past or are serving currently in our military forces. I think probably everyone knows someone either in their family or among their friends who has at some time served our country, protected our freedoms, freedoms that many take for granted.
I appreciate the men and women who serve us in this way. Not everyone can do it. It takes someone really special. As our country continues to come under attack around the world, we should pray for, and be thankful to, those who step forward and meet that call.
Both my father and father-in-law served in the military. Both were overseas during World War II. My dad also fought in the Korean Conflict. I think it's wonderful that even years later, years after retirement, that the military watches out for its own. 
Do you know that saying no one left behind? Even in death our soldiers are not forgotten. There is nothing like a military funeral. This particular one was for my father-in-law.
I am so thankful for those who stand in the gap for my family. Those who take the challenge and the responsibility. Thankful for the families that sacrifice time and time again, so we could live in a land of freedom.
Not all tears are tears of sadness. Some are tears of thankfulness.

This tile was drawn for the string challenge (#26) this week. You can check that out here.
The Creator's Leaf

2 comments:

  1. Most definitely - although no-one in my family served during conflict my Dad was did National Service in Sweden in a tank regiment. I remember him on manoeuvres in the far north. We live in a military town with a training base close by. I too am enormously grateful to those who have served.
    Thank you for this - a resounding Amen.
    Much love
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paula - in the photo of the soldier saluting the fellow - that's my husband holding the flag. and the teen you see sitting there with the red and black top on is my daughter. my son was behind me where i stood with my ever ready camera. we grew up military - U.S. Navy. my dad was a career man. it gave me a good appreciation for the men and women who serve us this way.

      Delete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).