Saturday, July 7, 2012

Zendala Dare #13 = Fun!

The Bright Owl

Photobucket
We are thirteen weeks into the Zendala Dare with Erin over at The Bright Owl. Above is the zendala template she gave us, and the challenge was to play with paper! All of us have our favorite papers to tangle on. I prefer the zentangle tiles or watercolor paper.
Photobucket
This week we are drawing on other types of paper - anything that isn't our usual. I started out with a piece of cardboard filler that came in a package today. I couldn't get the template to transfer over onto the cardboard, so I tossed that in the trash! Then I pulled out a heavy cardstock scrap of scrapbook paper - above - and transferred my template with no trouble. This worked like a charm! Smooth pen strokes, shading was easy. I stuck with lines mainly, so I wouldn't get confused - hahaha!
Photobucket
Today was bill-paying day, my least favorite day of the month! I didn't want to use scrapbook paper solely, so I scoured around my workroom and came upon the garbage can full of bill-paying trash. I pulled out this ad for AT&T and used it. Template transferred very well, but the penwork was sloppy. I noticed the pen kept moving when I wanted it to stop. I guess due to the slickness of the paper. This was a challenge. 
Photobucket
I thought about things other than paper that I could draw on. I m going to the CZT session in 36 days :smiles: and am trying to figure out what I could use to make a display the first night. I bought this letter at Michael's for around a dollar. It was already painted white. I used the same method to transfer the template - it worked great!
Photobucket
Then I used a fine point Sharpie and a Zig Memory Writer to fill in the zendala. (Note added the next day - don't use the zig memory writers - apparently they are not permanent. Big, huge smear right across the middle. Argh!) I stuck to the same basic design on all my zendalas, with very few changes so I could concentrate on the materials.
Photobucket
Here's a closer shot. It worked great! Took a little longer to dry than pen on paper, so I had to be careful of hand placement. I expect to continue tangling on this letter and it will be on display at the CZT session in - count them - 36 days!


To check out all the zendalas, and see the various types of papers, visit Erin's page - The Bright Owl - here! You have time to complete one of your own!

18 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! I like all your different choices of what to draw on. And I like your zendala, too! Very cool! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful linework! And you were very creative with the 'paperdare'.

    Annemarie Huijts

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found some ingenious ideas for your drawing base! I especially like the first one on the pink and white scrapbooking paper, it has a lovely flowing quality about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was fun, lorraine. i think i might need to pull out the scrapbook paper more often :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful use of paper and design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant Alice, your perseverance really paid off...they look fantastic. ;D
    Have a creative crafty week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, neesie! you have a great week, too!

      Delete
  6. Looked at this a several of your other zendala's. They are great and look like so much fun.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are definitely fun, darla! thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. the first is my favorite ;) and on H is clever choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'd been wanting to try the letter, but was leery of which pen to use. i actually ruined this last night - apparently the zig pen is not permanent and now it's one big smear in the center :(
      i'm going to paint over the whole mess and start over :)

      Delete
  8. WOW! You're one creative woman!! Love all your experiments, especially the one you did on your bill. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for your persistence - i did get your comment. :) thanks for stopping by - i need to go look at your tile - i love doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. creating - don't worry about it. mine did that, too, when i first set up my blog. your comments are coming through. i appreciate your persistance :) and i thank you for you wonderful comments!

    i notice that i cannot get to your blog unless i comment on something you have posted. so i'm not even sure you will see this :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your entries Alice - especially the use of the AT&T bill (ha, ha), and your letter is a great idea! I had thought about signing up for the CZT course and maybe I will someday - I'm sure you'll have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative use of "bill garbage", lol. All of them are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).